Monday, December 5, 2011

An Orange for An Apple

To many students, the transition from high school to college is a stressful time. Well, don’t be stressed because that is one of the most exciting things you will experience in your life. In my case, it was one event that left a great mark in both my mind and heart. It took me many years of preparation but all the efforts had been worth it. Long before I attended college, I already knew what I wanted to become. I was inspired by my parents who I looked up to with great love and respect. My Dad was a branch accountant then for a bank while my Mom was a librarian in a private school.  I saw how sharp they were in their business suits and uniforms.  I picture myself that one day I will be as sharp as them, talking to people about their concerns, managing their accounts and dealing with co-workers inside a handsome corporate office. 

I wanted so much to achieve in life and I studied well for that. Back then, my parents always tells me that if I maintain higher general weighted average in my elementary (which by the way, is the standard procedure), I will have a better chance to enter a secondary school as a scholar. The word ‘scholar’ is very important to me and it does ring a bell (the big one).  I finished my elementary being the first in the class. That was one of my first successes in my early life.  With that, I entered a private secondary school as a full time academic scholar! The school was a Christian Catholic school. Throughout my four years in the secondary level, my relationship and knowledge of God was deepened. The competition in the class was stiffer than in my elementary years. I struggled in a way, because I even considered my beautiful best friend as a competition. What was I thinking?!

My vacant time was spent mostly in the library. After that, I spent the rest of my afternoon hour inside the church. I asked God for something that was far beyond my reach, that I wanted to go to college in a distant land, Australia. That was both my prayer and my dream that has never been granted, yet.  I realized that God answers our prayers with “Yes, ok”, “No, I have a better one” and “Wait”. You see, there is no “Never”, only long periods of “Not yet”. Must I give up? You will see in my next posts. 

With that dream on hold, I focused mainly on my scholarship. After all my efforts, I ended up being second best in my batch. I didn’t feel bad because I received a college scholarship in one of the best universities in my country. That one university I didn’t bother myself to take its college admission test. I am still touched up to now with the way things happened in my early life. I wanted an apple, but I was given an orange. One lesson I learned at a young age: Success comes to those who work hard for it. Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there. Success goes to those who do not slumber but steps forward, working hard for a better them and a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment